Cool Green IT Products from DNS-DIRECT

IGEL Slide

Save money & energy Green IT

WEB UD2 Summerpromo 600px

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Saving website logins in my browsers?

Do you do this?
Humm

Let me ask you this, when you visit a Web site that requires you to log in with your username or password to access information on the site, do you manually input your log-in credentials every time, or do you let your Web browser store the log-in information for you, so the next time you visit the site it can log you in automatically? Well, if you have a habit of letting your browser store log-in credentials and passwords for the sake of convenient access or simply because you have a hard time remembering that information, you may just want read up on this week's topic question from member Sarah, who asked if she's being stupid by saving her Web site log-in credentials in Web browsers.

Sarah, I'm glad you asked this question, as I'm sure many people do this all the time. You ask, is this a stupid thing to do? I wouldn't call it stupid, but I would call it risky -- storing personal information anywhere has its risks, especially when you aren't in control of it. The fewer places you have log-in names and passwords available for someone to steal, the less chance there is of them being compromised.

I will admit that I personally sometimes do store log-in and passwords for sites that I frequently visit; HOWEVER, it's never for a site that is financial in nature, and never a site that can be used to personally identify who I am, or cause any harm to myself, to others, or to the site. If any would-be perpetrators were to gain access to my log-in name and password from those sites, they wouldn't be able to use those credentials on any of my secure sites.

This invaluable and a good wake-up call to all those who let their browser do the storing of their log-in information, so read up and be informed of the risk you are taking. Thank you to all those who have stepped up and shared your knowledge on this important topic. Stay safe out there, people

The Mad Hatter.

No comments: